ARK: Survival Evolved “Maps”

Forums The Coffee Table ARK: Survival Evolved “Maps”

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks ago by Triscuit.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Drek
    @drek

For ARK: SE there are “Arks”. They are what we are used to calling “maps” in the old games we played. The question is, what to do with them on our server. The options as I see them are as follows:

• A random “Ark” each time we play the game.
    • A vote before every ARK: SE night to see which “Ark” we play.

Feel free to nominate any other ideas I didn’t think of. I’ll leave nominations open for a few days, then we’ll vote on which idea to go with.

Saltine
    @saltine
    cheers
    Up
    Down
    boos

I would need to understand the mechanics of switching because there’s something to be said for Saltine-the-Tiny being somewhat persistent. I would hate to have to create Saltine-the-Tiny-Two-through-Seventeen.
    I can definitely see moving from one one to another, but given the amount of time It took just to get to a point where I could have a crossbow, I would like a bit more than an evening in a given world before moving on… I’m looking at this game kind-of like a set of D&D sessions or episodes in a story ark. progressing towards some sort of season finale for each Ark…

Drek
    @drek
    cheers
    Up
    Down
    boos

I was thinking that map votes would take care of that, the way they do in NS. Where if we want to continue playing a given ark, we all just vote to keep playing it. There won’t be any rule removing the last played ark from the list of available arks. But the idea of running a “season” for each ark is an interesting one.

How long would you propose that a season last? Three months would be roughly six sessions.

Drek
    @drek
    cheers
    Up
    Down
    boos

One thing that is becoming obvious as I go through the process of installing mods and trying to get them working is that maps in ARK: SE are a bigger deal than maps in a typical FPS. Many of them are a mod unto themselves. So I think the first step will be to get the starter map, Island, working well. Once Island is going well, we’ll start thinking about adding other maps and maybe having a vote for which map to play every week, or every “season”.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by Drek.
    Triscuit
    @triscuit
    cheers
    Up
    Down
    boos

So each Ark actually does have an objective beyond just exploring, taming and building. There are ‘bosses’ which require co-operation to find and defeat, and which help give focus to what we are doing once we are past the whole – wow it’s scary and pretty phase 🙂

My problem is I love resource gathering and building and it really doesn’t bother me to do that for a LOONG time.

Anyways, Fozzy is generally quite interested in doing bosses and has figured out a fair bit of that stuff too. I think if we set that goal, build to get to the boss, that gives a climax to let us move forward. Good news for Saltine, you can ‘transfer’ your character to the next world, via the transmitters which again can be further explained at another point.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums The Coffee Table ARK: Survival Evolved “Maps”