Fistful of Frags Test Night™ Scheduled for April 19, 2021

Forums The Coffee Table Fistful of Frags Test Night™ Scheduled for April 19, 2021

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Drek
    @drek

Fistful of Frags Test Night™ scheduled for April 19, 2021. Usual time, usual place.

You can download and install Fistful of Frags free from Steam.

I have yet to install and configure the server but I don’t foresee any major issues. I will keep you posted.

Note that this was originally scheduled for April 5, but yours truly forgot that that was Lonely Bachelor Night™, so it has been rescheduled to April 19.

• This topic was modified 2 months ago by Drek.
    Saltine
    @saltine
    cheers
    Up
    Down
    boos

what have I done??? 🙂

Drek
    @drek
    cheers
    Up
    Down
    boos

We’ll see…

Drek
    @drek
    cheers
    Up
    Down
    boos

Server installed and configured. For those with admin responsibilities the adminning is the same as it is for BG3.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Drek.
    Saltine
    @saltine
    cheers
    Up
    Down
    boos

and I believe you shot me during our testing.

Drek
    @drek
    cheers
    Up
    Down
    boos

I believe you shot me more than once, and knifed me… However, I did shoot you once, with prejudice, while you were clearly typing. It was cathartic…

Saltine
    @saltine
    cheers
    Up
    Down
    boos

Y’all accusing me of bringing a knife to a gun fight? I ain’t never done no such thing. axes? sure. Brass knuckles, you bet’cha. The occasional derringer? well that’s just a tiny-weeny ‘lil thing and she don’t rightly count.

I’m ‘gonna haf’ta call you out on that there knify accusation. When the clock strikes noon, we draw. Of course, there may be other gunmen out there we may have to kill them all first before we can shoot each other proper…

Drek
    @drek
    cheers
    Up
    Down
    boos

We should have stats for FoF. I’m working on that now.

Saltine
    @saltine
    cheers
    Up
    Down
    boos

death by horse kick should get a 1000% bonus 🙂

Drek
    @drek
    cheers
    Up
    Down
    boos

I think that FoF might be something I can’t deal with. I really felt nauseous after playing it for an hour.

Saltine
    @saltine
    cheers
    Up
    Down
    boos

You’re not alone there. for me it was like a 3D movie from the late 80s early 90s– massive eyestrain–like the world is spinning and want to get off (and no this is before the XXX bottles– that just made the effect 1000x worse).
    It seems to have behaved differently when I played it solo-local rather than on the server– the visual distortion on the scenery when moving didn’t seem to be at the same level as it was tonight– tonight was bad.
    couple that with the suggestion that it was resolving hit detection almost exclusively in my favour in face to face confrontations, and I would say it’s a bust.
    sorry about that folks. worth trying but I would tend to agree with deep sixing it in multiplayer…
    I will bite the bullet on shotgun farmers when next it is on sale and report back on it 🙂

Frank McNeil
    @frankmcneil
    cheers
    Up
    Down
    boos

I quite liked the game. It was fun for the first hour or so, but then I started to feel like there’s something weird with the game. No I didn’t feel any strange effects on my body like Drek described, but the game behaved strange by itself. I have the Steam FPS counter always on and I’m using Radeon Chill feature that allows you to lock max framerate the GPU will render. I have it locked at 60 FPS which is also the max my monitor can show. But the Steam FPS often showed over 200 FPS. This is really strange, because other games we play don’t behave like that. At least I haven’t noticed it yet. Second thing FoF seems to have issues with hit detection in my opinion. Truth is that the weapons show lower than 100% accuracy most of the time, but even when I used the carbine rifle, its iron sights and crouched to have 99% accuracy I often missed even in closer ranges. The same was with one of the standard rifles, don’t ask me the name of it, I shot 3 rounds at a bot in almost face to face distance and he stabbed me to death with his knife seconds later.

I would also like to ask a favour. If we ever play it again can the bots skill be lowered down. And I mean a lot down than what it is now. I wasn’t really able to play against them. Kick them was basically not an option for me. And most of my kills were when I hit them from behind or side. In fair gun fight I was able to win only when I had sawed off … which seems to be way overpowered in this game. Like the BFG (or how was that ultimate weapon named) in old Doom 🙂

Drek
    @drek
    cheers
    Up
    Down
    boos

I’m not sure there is anything we can do about the bots, and I don’t think I’ll ever be hosting Fistful of Puke again. Apologies to the developers, but something was terribly wrong last night. I still don’t feel well, even this morning.

Drek
    @drek
    cheers
    Up
    Down
    boos

Ok, I think I might have figured out what was wrong. This is my working theory.

I don’t think it is a problem with the game per se. I think when I tested the server earlier in the day yesterday the server didn’t shut down properly. I think there were two instances of FoF running on the server box last night, one stuck trying to shut down.

That’s why the Game Server widget wasn’t working properly. I think it was also causing the server instance we were on to lag and behave weirdly, which also caused my nausea, and all of us to feel weird. I think that was what was causing the hit registration issues as well.

So I think we will be adding FoF to the rotation, and we’ll see how it runs the next time we run it. I don’t think it was a problem with the game. But there truly is nothing I can do about the bots. I think if the server is running properly the bots will be easier to deal with.

Drek
    @drek
    cheers
    Up
    Down
    boos

I think the basic problem is that my server shutdown script isn’t robust enough to catch every instance of every game server that is running, if there is a problem and there is more than one instance of the server running or if there is a hung server instance. I’ve kinda known this for a while but it seemed to be working so I never got around to sorting it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums The Coffee Table Fistful of Frags Test Night™ Scheduled for April 19, 2021