Pandemic Driven Resurgence in PC Sales

Forums The Workshop Pandemic Driven Resurgence in PC Sales

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Drek
    @drek

Apparently reports of the death of the PC were greatly exaggerated.

Drek
    @drek
    cheers
    Up
    Down
    boos

What I find interesting in that is that at no point since 2006 have PC sales fallen below 2006 levels. That’s actually pretty interesting, and that means that even though sales fell pretty significantly from their peak in 2011, they have still remained fairly robust.

Drek
    @drek
    cheers
    Up
    Down
    boos

Of course, looking at those numbers I realize now that they include laptops, which really are a different form factor than PC’s, so the drop in sales numbers for actual PC’s is probably much greater than that chart shows.

Saltine
    @saltine
    cheers
    Up
    Down
    boos

also total sales which would include enterprise, not just consumer. City of Ottawa has a workforce of 18,000. 15,000 have a dedicated PC or laptop assigned to them. that number was significantly lower in 2006.

Frank McNeil
    @frankmcneil
    cheers
    Up
    Down
    boos

People found out that all these smart phone like devices aren’t designed for extended workload. And when you really need to do some work then you need true keyboard and mouse. So when they had to go the home office way they simply needed standard PC.

As for me it doesn’t really matter whether the PC is in form of classic desktop PC or a laptop. For typical office work there is no difference between them. Both will give you enough power. Best case scenario is a laptop connected to 24 inch screen and wireless keyboard/mouse set. That way you keep portability and don’t stress your backs and eyes on tiny laptop.

Classic desktop PC is needed only for heavy workloads and gaming. Where in both cases you usually need powerful GPU. It’s true that you can get a gaming laptop with high end GPU, but that’s not ideal solution in my opinion. Cause when you need to put a high load on either the CPU or GPU or both for extended period of time then you also need to give them decent cooling and that isn’t strong part of a laptop design. Thus desktop PC is the only reliable solution in such case.

Drek
    @drek
    cheers
    Up
    Down
    boos

I’m thinking also that the uptick in demand is at least partly fuelled by corporations and government agencies requiring laptops for virtual meetings.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums The Workshop Pandemic Driven Resurgence in PC Sales